MASTERY BY ROBERT GREENE
The DNA each one of us bear is so unique that neither had it been repeated in the past nor it will in future. Every one of us has the ability to do some specific tasks that no one can perform better than us. But you just need to recognize it and practice it for long period of time to become a master.
There are following three phases towards mastery
1-Apprenticeship: Apprenticeship is the early stage of a field when it is entirely new to you.
2-Creative action: in creative action phase you start seeing how things work together as a whole.
3-Mastery: While in the phase of mastery you become so good with the rules of the game that you can even change them.
“DISCOVER YOUR CALLING: THE LIFE’S TASK”
- We all have an inner voice called vocation; it knows what our purpose of life is. We just need to rediscover it, because we usually suppress it as we pass our childhood.
- Mostly we try to find pleasure outside the work but it’s the wrong approach. The real joy should be searched in the work you do.
Strategies to find your life task
Return to your origins (primal inclination strategy)
- Most people in their childhood had something they sense a feel of power towards. It’s still there; you just need to dig deep.
- Such task is the one we are naturally gifted with and possess ability to do it far better than anyone else.
- While doing such task you wouldn’t feel tired.
Occupy the perfect niche (The Darwinian strategy)
- While searching your niche, go for the general first and continue picking further niches you find interesting. Finally you will discover your perfect niche.
- If you are interested in two entirely different niches. Initially master the one you prefer more, and then go for the second one. Later you can create your own different niche by combining two.
Avoid the false path (The rebellion strategy)
- Don’t go in any niche just for the sake of money…
- After you found your niche, just go for it. Even if you have obstacles and resistance towards it. If it is really difficult to get into the niche, try to get closest you can.
Let go off the past (the adaptation strategy)
- If things don’t work the way you had planned, don’t think that the time spend on practicing got waste.
- Try to use the past skills, expertise and experience in some other way.
Find your way back (life or death strategy)
- Follow the inner voice you had ignored for some reason.
- Don’t focus on more than two different things at a time.
- Don’t think of reward first.
“SUBMIT TO REALITY: THE IDEAL APPRENTICESHIP”
THE FIRST TRANSFORMATION
- In practical life we pass through a phase in which we learn the skills as a fresh man in a field. This phase is called apprenticeship.
- The purpose of apprenticeship should be learning and development of mind, instead of a degree, money or social approval.
- Make sure you find a challenging apprenticeship, so you can groom yourself.
There are three steps of apprenticeship
Deep observation (The Passive mode)
- Observe all the principles, rules, norms and values of your field.
- Try to observe it from the masters of the domain.
- You don’t need to analyze it, just observe the surroundings.
Skills acquisition (the practice mode)
- You need to practice the skill for at least 10,000 hours to get expert in it.
- It takes about 4 hours of concentration daily into the task.
Experimentation (the Active mode)
- Do experiments in your work.
- Don’t be afraid of exposing yourself to the criticism.
- Acquire the small skills and expertise related to your discipline, even if they are bit outside your discipline.
8 strategies for complete apprenticeship
1-Value learning over money
If you do some job just for the sake of large pay checks, then you will spend most of your time proving yourself eligible and afraid.
2-Keep expending your horizons
Keep in mind that you wouldn’t easily get the apprenticeship you idealize. Therefore don’t stay at one place for a too long. Socialize and mingle with people as much as you can.
3-Revert to a feeling of inferiority
Don’t think that you know enough and keep looking around you to learn more.
4-Trust the process
Remember frustration is the sign that you are serious about the work you are doing. And it only cause when you don’t yield the results you were expecting. Have faith and keep going.
5-Move towards resistance & pain
Enhance your resistance during the practice and be brutally honest when it comes to criticizing yourself.
6-Apprentice yourself in failure
Be persistent and think failure as pre-success phase.
7-Combine the how and the what
Learn in detail the appearance and working of a system or thing. Both are necessary to be done in early stages because later you will lose the curiosity.
8-Advance through trial & Error
In you early years of profession many of us don’t have the idea that how we will reach the goal we have set. The answer is, follow your intuition and keep wandering. Avoid making long term rigid plans.
“ABSORB THE MASTER’S POWER: THE MENTOR DYNAMIC”
Following are some guidelines to choose a mentor.
1. Choose mentor according to your needs & inclination
• Nothing can replace a good mentor.
• Books can act as temporary mentor.
• A mentor shouldn’t be master of a very specific niche, yet he should be someone having a wider range of knowledge.
• Having an emotional connection is necessary and it can be done by offering mentor assistance for free.
2. Gaze deep into the mentor’s mirror
• Allow your mentor to highlight your weaknesses.
• Welcome criticism of the mentor.
• If your find criticism abusive then your idea about your proficiency is something doesn’t base on reality.
3. Transfigure their ideas
• At first it’s OK to idealize your mentor, but you should later create some distance.
• Mold some of their ideas into your own style and make sure you don’t become your mentor’s copy.
4. Create back and forth dynamic
• Sometimes a communication gap occurs between mentor and apprentice due to apprentice’s ego or generation gap.
• It is necessary for apprentice to properly follow mentor’s instruction, which later opens mentor to apprentice’s ideas.
• If can’t find anyone as your mentor learn from historic and public figures.
“SEE PEOPLE AS THEY ARE: SOCIAL INTELLIGENCE”
No matter which discipline you belongs to, social intelligence is something crucial to have. It’s very necessary to understand people if you want to become a master. Because mastery achieved without social intelligence isn’t real and wouldn’t last longer.
• Don’t over estimate people’s good or bad qualities.
• Never judge people and entirely rely on the image you have of their in your mind.
• We feel a strange connection with our close friends and family, as if we are reading their minds. They understand us and we learn about their thoughts or what they are about to say. Such connection develops when we are open to someone or off the guard.
• Don’t pay too much attention on the things people say but on what they actual do.
• Don’t believe people’s appearances, because people are mostly opposite what they are showing outside.
• Observe their body language, tone of voice and the non-verbal signals they sent.
Generally we all possess some dark characteristics and negative emotions. Although it’s natural to bear these some in smaller quantities but some people have them in greater scale.
Following are seven deadly realities you may find in people.
• Too much admiration and friendliness are signs of envy.
• Appearing too perfect or brilliant may spark this emotion in others.
• Revealing about your harmless insecurities can prevents you from envious people.
• Conformism is the inability to tolerate other’s opinion, often such opinion bearer’s are in minority.
• Make sure you don’t openly talk about your opinions in a group; if you are sure that majority will disagree with it. Such expression of opinion can cause indirect attacks from the overseers of group’s untold rules.
• You should know that there are rigid people everywhere, who dislike change. You shouldn’t get upset from such people.
• Never try to change rigid people or you will make yourself rigid while doing so.
• When you need some one’s assistance or collaboration, first tell them what’s in it for them.
• If you are working in a team secure your credit even before the starting of the project.
• Don’t let anyone know about your ideas in detail, so they can’t imitate.
• It is advisable to not add someone in the mid of the project, he or she may just want to get half of the credit.
• If someone who was really into your idea, but now he or she is showing no interest, this may merely due to his change of emotional estate. Don’t confuse it with the credibility of your idea.
7. Passive aggression
• Detecting people with passive aggression is hard.
• But if people around the person or employ work with over cautiousness, it means he is passive aggression warrior.
• Such people will harm with great indirectness.
• Either attack them in response with same indirectness, or if not possible avoid their company.
Following are some strategies related to the social aspect of your work
Speak through your work
• If people deny your discoveries and theories try to prove it by writing books and doing experiments.
• Don’t take the conflict personally even people are rejecting your idea merely due to rigidity.
• Backup your opinion firmly but don’t disrespect any one.
Craft the appropriate persona
• People judge you by your appearance; therefore craft it to match the image you want to create.
• Change it from time to time to suit your requirements.
See yourself as other see you
• Ask about the social mistakes you make from people you trust and are close to you. This will improve your social credibility.
Suffer fools gladly
• The world is full of fools who are not interested in development and truth but in the satisfaction of their emotions. Just ignore such people.
• See them as any other harsh reality of the world but don’t struggle to make them agree with you.
” AWAKEN THE DIMENSIONAL MIND: THE CREATIVE-ACTIVE”
The significance of creativity can’t be denied even after becoming the master. As we age we tend to become more rigid and find hard to be open to new things. Although it’s difficult but one should always has room for new ideas and look for towards new field of knowledge’s apart of your own.
THE SECOND TRANSFORMATION
Never lose your childhood spirit of creativity and curiosity. Don’t stick to the old ways of doing things. Continue experimentation regardless thinking about the reputation you have created in all these past years. Don’t set constant limitations for yourself in your mind.
Steps towards creative break through
The creative task
- Take creative challenges that matches your level of proficiency and you find it ambitious.
- Having doubts and uncertainty is the part of the process.
- Doing work just for the sake of money will show its emptiness.
2.The creative strategy
Randomness is uncomfortable but it triggers creative action.
I. CULTIVATE THE NEGATIVE ABILITY: don’t have presumed theories about something you have engaged for the first time.
II. ALLOW THE SERENDIPITY: your search of a problem shouldn’t be limited to your own field.
III. ALTERNATE THE MIND THROUGH CURRENT: discuss your observation with yourself.
IV. ALTER YOU PERSPECTIVE: see from more than one perspective and observe the minor details which most people miss.
The creative break through
- Before every break through there comes a time when circumstances seem impossible to proceed.
- Having no safe net and pressure of deadlines can boost up your creative ability.
Following are five emotional pitfalls a master should be aware of.
- Complacency: return to your younger years when you used to question everything and get out of the state that you know much.
- Conservatism: after getting some success avoid falling into the pitfall of not trying something new, just because it can risk your reputation.
- Dependency: develop your personal standards of judgment for yourself. As you can’t only rely upon other’s feedback and opinions can vary from person to person.
- Impatience: every project should be seen as an entirely new one, so do it with a new spirit.
- Grandiosity: never prefer admiration over creativity, because this will make you fearful of the uncertainty related to creative process.
- Inflexibility: to gain mastery, master the skill of being optimistic and criticizing about your work at the same time.
Strategies for the creative active phase
The authentic voice
- Getting impatient for the results may negatively influence your learning process.
- Be patient and consistent with the long learning of apprenticeship.
The fact of great yield
- Look for unique anomalies in your field and that of other’s. Later you will find a practical use of them.
- Avoid making goals at first and let your discoveries set new goals for you.
- While working on a project avoid departmentalization, as it will restrict you into some specific zone of creation.
- Try to have a complete picture by being general. Learn how everything is working with each other by using the product yourself.
- Thinking of financial budget and the results in the first phase of project is something should be forbidden.
- Be open minded and imaginative in the initial stages.
- Give the time for proper germination of idea, as time is your best ally.
The Open field
- Don’t create something out of a trend but instead due to the feeling you have inside that tells to do so.
The high end
- If you lost the sense of purpose in a project, it’s better to start over again.
The evolutionary hijack
- Your initial idea may get you to a dead end, but it may show paths leading to another innovative idea.
- Don’t get too firm with your initial ideas. Be flexible with the change it brings and modify it accordingly.
- Even after working for too long on a mystery, don’t hesitate to see things from a new perspective you haven’t tried before.
- By don’t panicking yourself with a specific deadline you are opening yourself towards new possibilities. And one of these possibilities can be disclosing of nature’s mystery.
Al-chemical creativity and the unconscious
- See the contradictions of concepts with an open mind.
- Discipline has a crucial significance when it comes to creative task.
“FUSES THE INTUITIVE WITH THE RATIONAL: MASTERY”
THE THIRD TRANSFORMATION
- Master gains a higher level of intelligence to see things what others can’t.
- Mastery isn’t about completing your 10,000 or 20,000 hours, but what level of concentration you put into it.
THE ROOTS OF MASTERLY INTUITION
- By working you are creating brain connections, that will ultimately lead you to higher level intelligence.
- The intuition you will gain as a master works beneath the level of consciousness and therefore can’t be explained as a step by step process. Such level of proficiency often can be shown but hardly taught.
THE RETURN TO REALITY
- Don’t follow the microscopic specializations, in which you entirely boycott with the other fields of knowledge.
Strategies for attaining mastery
All masters have their own inner guidance system and use one of the following or blend of more than one strategy.
Connect to your environment: connecting and sensing the environment is the trait of master.
Play to your strengths: closely look to yourself, the qualities you see as weaknesses may have hidden the most powerful strengths of your.
Transform yourself through practice: don’t think you can’t be the best in your area because there are other more naturally gifted people out there.
After practicing something for 10,000 hours you will reach a transformation point where you practice your skill using your intuition, rather than your knowledge.
Internalize the details: focusing too much on details isn’t freakish because ultimately this will put a life in your work.
Widen your vision: don’t just get trapped into the pros and cons of the movement, but instead see farther and wider.
Submit to the other: think by being an insider and demolish presumed concepts, when understanding a person or a culture.
Synthesize all forms of knowledge: welcome the diversity of knowledge you gain. Doing so will help you make novel connections and get you closer to reality.
Our mind is designed to make physical and mental connections between concepts and ideas.
END OF SUMMARY